Frequently Asked Questions


Where do I go to see a list of open positions?

Select the "Job Seekers" tab to view a complete listing of available postings.

How do I apply for a position with Madison County Commission?

Select "Job Opportunities" under the "Job Seekers" tab to view a complete listing of available postings. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" button. After viewing the Job Posting, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password.

I am unable to log into my portal to apply for a position or check the status of my application.

For technical assistance including password help with your portal, please contact NEOGOV at 855.524.5627.

How do I check the status of my application?

With our new ATS powered by NeoGov, you can log into your portal at anytime and view the status of your application. If you have questions regarding the status of your application, the hiring manager's contact information can be found on the job bulletin. We encourage you to reach out to the hiring manager directly with any questions you may have regarding the status of your application.

What are the requirements of the position?

Each position has different requirements in terms of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Some positions require specific licenses, certifications, and degrees. This information can typically be found on the job posting. You may also be required to pass some pre-employment screenings such as a physical, drug screen, motor vehicle report, background check, and/or another type of pre-employment testing. You will be notified of this when a conditional offer is made. Please note: Departments may conduct pre-employment screenings independently of the HR Department. Please check with HR at 256-532-3614 if you have questions regarding position requirements.


As a full-time employee, do I have to participate in LGHIP?

Participation in the Madison County health insurance plan is mandatory for all full-time employees. If you would like to enroll in the Madison County health plan, please bring the following items: a. Marriage certificate (to add your spouse). b. Birth certificate and/or legal documentation (to add dependent children). c. Social security cards for your spouse and each dependent you wish to enroll. Employees can decline health insurance if they are covered by another qualifying health insurance plan. If you would like to decline the Madison County health plan, please bring a current letter from the employer or insurance carrier verifying your current coverage and the date the coverage began.

My brand name prescription had a large up-front co-pay. I thought co-pays were $10. What happened?

If your prescription is a brand-name drug it must follow the Point-of-Sale reimbursement process. The step-by-step process for Point-of-Sale can be found at: Tier 2 and Tier 3 drugs are eligible for reimbursement up to 80% of the original cost, with the exception of ACA covered drugs which will reimburse at 100%. If your drug is a Tier 1 covered generic drug, a 30-day supply, and the co-pay was over $10, please contact BCBS at 1-800-321-4391 to determine the issue. Your prescription may have additional requirements such as quantity limits.

How do I use my insurance for prescriptions?

Simply provide the pharmacy with your BCBS Insurance card and they'll use that information to file your prescription claims. For more information on utilizing your Drug Card benefits, visit:

When does insurance end for a dependent turning 26?

Eligible dependents turning 26 will age off the coverage at the end of their birth month and recieve information for COBRA in the mail.

How do I determine if a doctor or pharmacy is in-network?

Visit and log-in to your account. Select "Find a Doctor" at the top of the screen. All PPO participating providers meeting your search criteria will be displayed.

I recieved a bill for services performed and I'm unsure why. What should I do?

Contact BCBS at 1-800-321-4391 to learn more about the claim. Additionally, we recommend contacting your doctor. Please reference your LGHIP member's handbook for more coverage information. Copies of the handbook can be found at: If you have questions about covered services, please contact BCBS or LGHIP at 1-866-836-9137. As always, our office is happy to advocate on your behalf. Do not hesitate to contact us if you need assistance at 256-532-3614.

Where can I go for vision services without VSP?

A list of participating providers in LGHIP discounted network can be found at:


I do not have a card, what is my number?

VSP does not issue a card. The provider will access the employee's information via the VSP website by the social security number of the subscriber (our employee).

My dependent went to the doctor and they said they weren't on my plan. I added them, what's wrong?

Ensure your dependent has provided their eye doctor with the subscriber's social security number, instead of their own. Occasionally, employees forget to add dependents to their VSP coverage when enrolling and only add them to health coverage. Check your payroll deductions to ensure you are enrolled in VSP coverage that includes dependents. The rates for VSP are as follows:

  • Single: $2.77
  • Employee + One: $5.82
  • Family: $8.92
If you have questions about who is included on your coverage, you may contact VSP at 800-877-7195 or HR at 256-532-3614.

What are the bi-weekly premiums for VSP?

The rates for VSP are as follows:

  • Single: $2.77
  • Employee + One: $5.82
  • Family: $8.92

When can I enroll in VSP or make changes to my coverage?

You may enroll or make changes at the time you are hired, during Open Enrollment, or within 30 days of a qualifying life event. Qualifying events include: marriage, birth, adoption, death, divorce, loss of coverage, or a change in a spouse’s employment.


What is the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?

The FMLA entitles eligible employees to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. For more information about FMLA, visit: To review Madison County's Family Medical Leave policy, visit:

Who can take FMLA leave?

In order to be eligible to take leave under the FMLA, an employee must:

  • have been employed by the County for at least twelve (12) months and;
  • have worked at least one thousand two hundred fifty (1250) hours in the twelve (12) months before leave is requested.
    • The 12 months of employment are not required to be consecutive in order for the employee to qualify for FMLA leave. In general, only employment within seven years is counted unless the break in service is (1) due to an employee’s fulfillment of military obligations, or (2) governed by a collective bargaining agreement or other written agreement.

Does the time I take off for vacation, sick leave or PTO count toward the 1,250 hours?

The 1,250 hours include only those hours actually worked for the employer. Paid leave and unpaid leave, including FMLA leave, are not included.

Is my employer required to pay me when I take FMLA leave?

The FMLA only requires unpaid leave. Family Medical Leave is unpaid. However, Madison County requires accrued paid time off (PTO) to run concurrently with FML for all or parts of any qualifying leave. When paid leave is used for an FMLA-covered reason, the leave is FMLA-protected.

When can an eligible employee use FMLA leave?

A covered employer must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12 month period for one or more of the following reasons:

  • for the birth of a son or daughter, and to bond with the newborn child;
  • for the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care, and to bond with that child;
  • to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent – but not a parent “in-law”) with a serious health condition;
  • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition; or
  • for qualifying exigencies arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is on covered active duty or call to covered active duty status as a member of the National Guard, Reserves, or Regular Armed Forces.
The FMLA also allows eligible employees to take up to 26 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a “single 12-month period” to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness.

Are there any restrictions on when an employee can take leave for the birth or adoption of a child?

Leave to bond with a newborn child or for a newly placed adopted or foster child must conclude within 12 months after the birth or placement. The use of intermittent FMLA leave for these purposes is subject to the HR Department's approval. If the newly born or newly placed child has a serious health condition, the employee has the right to take FMLA leave to care for the child intermittently, if medically necessary and such leave is not subject to the 12-month limitation.

When can a parent take leave for a newborn?

Mothers and fathers have the same right to take FMLA leave to bond with a newborn child. A mother can also take FMLA leave for prenatal care, incapacity related to pregnancy, and for her own serious health condition following the birth of a child. A father can also use FMLA leave to care for his spouse who is incapacitated due to pregnancy or child birth.

Does an employee have to take leave all at once or can it be taken periodically or to reduce the employee’s schedule?

When it is medically necessary, employees may take FMLA leave intermittently – taking leave in separate blocks of time for a single qualifying reason – or on a reduced leave schedule – reducing the employee’s usual weekly or daily work schedule. When leave is needed for planned medical treatment, the employee must make a reasonable effort to schedule treatment so as not to unduly disrupt the employer’s operation. Leave to care for or bond with a newborn child or for a newly placed adopted or foster child may only be taken intermittently with the HR Department's approval and must conclude within 12 months after the birth or placement.

When do I need to notify the HR Department if I plan to take FMLA leave?

Employees seeking to use FMLA leave are required to provide 30-day advance notice of the need to take FMLA leave when the need is foreseeable and such notice is practicable. If leave is foreseeable less than 30 days in advance, the employee must provide notice as soon as practicable – generally, either the same or next business day. When the need for leave is not foreseeable, the employee must provide notice to the employer as soon as practicable under the facts and circumstances of the particular case. Employees may either request FML or the County may initiate the process to qualify an employee’s absence as FML. Employees requesting Family Medical Leave must complete the Family Medical Leave Request Form at least thirty (30) days in advance if the leave is foreseeable, and as soon as possible if it is not foreseeable. Family Medical Leave benefits may run concurrently with Worker’s Compensation benefits. Department heads will notify the Human Resources Department whenever an employee has used unscheduled leave for more seven (7) consecutive workdays (or the equivalent for those employees working twelve-hour shifts) or has otherwise indicated that leave in excess of seven (7) workdays may be needed for any FML qualifying reason listed in this policy.

How do I request FML?

Employees requesting FML must complete a Request for Family Medical Leave form. If FML is taken because of employees’ or their family members' serious health condition or for service member family leave, employees will receive a Certification of Health Care Provider form to complete and submit before the leave begins or within fifteen (15) days if advance notice is not provided. Employees who request FML because their spouse, parent, or child is called up for or is on active duty in the Armed Forces will receive an Active Duty Certification form to complete and submit. Department heads are to notify the HR Department whenever an employee has requested leave for any reason as defined in this policy.

Will my benefits continue while on FML?

Yes, as long as benefit premiums are being paid. The employee is entitled to the continuation of the group health insurance coverage during FMLA leave on the same terms as if he or she had continued to work. The employee must continue to make any normal contributions to the cost of the health insurance premiums through payroll deduction or by debit or credit card. Employees who do not have accrued leave time or exhaust accrued leave while on FML will be placed in an unpaid status. Employees in this status will: (1.) be responsible for paying their benefit premiums directly to the Human Resources Department at the time of every paycheck, (2.) will not accrue annual or sick leave and (3.) will not be paid for holidays that occur during their leave. The County’s obligation to maintain health insurance coverage will cease if the employee’s premium payment is late. The county will provide written notice to the employee that the payment has not been received. The county reserves the right to cancel coverages if required insurance premiums are not paid. Upon the employee’s return from leave, the county will restore the employee to coverage/benefits equivalent to those the employee would have had if leave had not been taken and the premium payments had not been missed, including family or dependent coverage. Any premium balances due to the county will be deducted from the employee’s first full paycheck after returning to work.

When and how do I return to work after leave?

At the completion of FML, the employee is eligible to return to their former position or an equivalent position with the same pay and 131 benefits. Prior to returning to work, the County may require medical certification that the employee is able to perform the duties and meet the physical requirements of their job, if the leave was due to the employee’s serious health condition. The treating medical professional must complete certification. Failure to provide this certification may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination. Employees who fail to return to work after completion of FML will be assumed to have resigned and any remaining insurance premiums owed to the County will be deducted from the employee’s final check.

How often should I report in and how?

Employees on FML are required to either contact their department head by phone or email on the first and third Thursday of each month while on leave to provide updates on the status of their condition. Additionally, stay in contact with the HR Department with any updates on your condition. In addition, employees must provide notice as soon as practicable (within two (2) business days, if feasible) if the dates of the leave are expected to change.

Can I work another job while on FML?

Employees on FML are prohibited from engaging in outside employment while on leave. Employees who do engage in other employment while on FML will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

What do I do if I have a dispute of a FML related action or decision?

If an employee disagrees with any FML related action or decision by the County, it is the employee’s responsibility to submit their disagreement in writing to the Director of Human Resources within ten (10) days of the action or decision. The Director of Human Resources and the employee will meet to discuss the matter and seek to arrive at an agreeable resolution.

How long do I have to be off work to begin FML?

Madison County policy requires you to be off at least 7 days off work if you work 8 hour shifts or 5 days off if you work 12 hour shifts.

Wellness Screenings

Where can I get information on my past wellness screenings?

Visit and create login. The User ID will always be your contract number. If additional information is needed, please call LGHIP at 866-836-9137.

Do I have to obtain a Wellness Screening? If so, how often?

Employees participating in the County’s health insurance plan are required to obtain an Annual Wellness Screening. Employees should only participate in one Wellness Screening per year.

If I am unable to attend a Worksite Wellness Screening, what should I do?

You may visit a participating pharmacy to obtain a Wellness Screening at no cost. Additionally, you may visit your Primary Card Physician to obtain a Wellness Screening.

Please note: The Employee Clinic no longer conducts Wellness Screenings due to staff restrictions.

To view a list of participating pharmacies, visit: Please call ahead to schedule an appointment at the pharmacy.

You will need to print and bring along the Provider Screening Form. The form can be found by visiting:

How do I schedule a Worksite Wellness Screening?

We will send an email out with registration details to County employees. If you are not recieving emails with Wellness Screening details, please contact Briana White at

When is the deadline to complete Wellness Screenings?

The deadline to complete your Wellness Screening for 2019 is July 31. Please be mindful it may take up to 5 business days for your Wellness Screening to be processed, so plan ahead. Madison County HR hosts a large number of Worksite Wellness Screenings throughout the start of each year, including a make-up Wellness Screening in May.

Will my employer know the results of my screening?

Absolutely not! Madison County HR will only recieve information regarding whether or not the employee completed their Wellness Screening. Not only do we not receive information regarding your screening, we don't want to! Your screening is completely confidential, exactly how it should be. To view LGHIP's Wellness Privacy Notice, visit:

I don't see the timeslot I want available on the registration survey.

Appointment requests will be taken on a first come, first serve basis. Individuals registering to attend select screenings will be asked to select from a list of available timeslots. If a time slot is full, the option will no longer be available.

Is the make-up Wellness Screening the final Worksite Wellness Screening of the year?

Yes! We conduct a final screening each year in May. If you are unable to attend this screening or a previous one this calendar year, you may visit a participating pharmacy to obtain a Wellness Screening at no cost. Additionally, you may visit your Primary Card Physician to obtain a Wellness Screening.

Please note: The Employee Clinic no longer conducts Wellness Screenings due to staff restrictions.

To view a list of participating pharmacies, visit: Please call ahead to schedule an appointment at the pharmacy.

You will need to print and bring along the Provider Screening Form. The form can be found by visiting:

My screening was conducted at my doctor or a participating pharmacy. How do I see the results or confirm it was submitted?

Visit and create login. The User ID will always be your contract number. If additional information is needed, please call LGHIP at 866-836-9137.


My insurance card is not working. What is wrong?

Please ensure you are presenting the correct card. To determine which card to use, see below:

  • Blue Advantage - This card is used by a retiree who has Medicare, but someone on their plan is not on Medicare
  • United HealthCare (UHC) - This card is used by a retiree where everyone on their plan is on Medicare
  • LGHIP/BCBS - This card is used by a retiree who is not Medicare eligible
If you are having issues with you card, you may contact the insurance provider or our office at 256-532-3614.

What is my copay for physical/occupational therapy with UHC?

Each visit is subject to a $40 copay up to the annual out-of-pocket maxmium.

How much can I earn after I retire for a ERS/TRS agency and not lose my retirement benefit for the year?

$31,000. If the employee retired after June of this year, the $31,000 is divided by the remaining months (pro-rated) post-retirement to determine their remaining annual limit.

When do I need to apply for retirement?

Schedule an appointment to speak with Renee Winslett, our Benefits Coordinator, as soon as you decide you'd like to retire to begin planning. Retirement paperwork needs to be at RSA no more than 90 days prior to your anticipated date, but no less than 30 days.

On-the-Job Accidents

I was injured on the job. What should I do?

You supervisor should immediately call the Triage Hotline with you present. The number is 1-855-660-5200. No paperwork is needed from the injured worker or the supervisor at this time. A drug screen will be done where the employee is sent for treatment. If self care is recommended by Triage, no drug screen is necessary.

I was injured, but the Triage Hotline recommended self-care. Now what?

Notify us if more symptoms or issues arise. Not further action is necessary. You do not need to receive a drug screen if Triage recommends self-care, assuming no property was damaged in the incident.

How do I get my Rx filled on Worker's Comp?

As soon as you know you need a prescription filled, give our office a call at 256-532-3614 or email Once notified, our office will obtain a pharmacy card to allow you to obtain the prescription at no cost.

I had an accident with property damage, but I was not injured. What should I do?

If an employee damages property (County or other) but is not injured:

  • The supervisor or Department Head should contact HR providing the employee’s name and department.
  • HR will provide the PIN to the supervisor and call Alternative Sentencing to schedule the drug test.
  • Employee involved will report to the Office of Alternative Sentencing, providing the assigned PIN and the last four digits of their Social Security number to be drug tested.

Employee Portal

I can not log in to my Employee Portal. What do I do?

The Employee Portal can now retrieve your username and reset your password! We all forget our log-in information from time-to-time. Now, if you forget your log-in information to the employee portal, utilize the appropriate link (featured below) on the portal home screen to get back into your account. We encourage you to store your username and password in a safe place. In order for this feature to work, you must have a current email address on file with HR. If you do not have an email on file or you'd like to update your email address, please contact HR or complete the following form:

I've never logged into the Portal. Can you help me?

Madison County HR now activates employee accounts on their first day. New Hires will receive a card with their login information during Orientation. If you were hired before January 01, 2019 and did not receive login information, you will set your account up using the "Activate Your Account" link featured below. In order for this feature to work, you must have a current email address on file with HR. If you do not have an email on file or you'd like to update your email address, please contact HR or complete the following form:


Who is eligible to use EAP services?

All full-time employees and their dependents. The employee does not have to be on LGHIP to use the plan. However, they should notify BHS if they are not to ensure treatment can be continued with a covered provider under their plan.

What is an EAP and what can I use it for?

An EAP is a professional service which provides confidential assessment, referral, and short-term counseling services to employees and their dependents for behavioral healthrelated problems such as (but not limited to):

  • Marital/Family
  • Eating Disorders
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Grief and Loss
  • Financial/Legal
  • Substance Abuse
Madison County offers this EAP Benefit through Behavioral Health Systems (BHS).

What does the EAP benefit through BHS cover?

Coverage includes an initial assessment and two follow-up visits. Individuals can extend treatment using LGHIP in-network providers or providers in their respective health insurance network.

Does using EAP services cost anything?

EAP is a benefit provided to you, at no charge, by Madison County. All services that are authorized by BHS are covered at 100% and you do not have to file any claims.